Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Pathway to the Christ Life (2) - Being Emptied - Part 6

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ Jesus

It has been long since I last wrote, and this post is a continuation of where I left off in "Being Emptied - Part 5". So to put t short in what I last wrote - we learned through Father Abraham's life not to depend on what the human hands make or to depend on the acts of the flesh, but to depend on the works of the Holy Spirit. We learned that even today, we need to be emptied of our self sufficiency and filled wit the Spirit of God, if we are to produce "Isaacs" that please God.

Now to continue to the next part....
An end of ourselves

In Edith Schaeffer's book L'Abri, she recounts how God brought her husband Francis Schaeffer and his co-workers, again and again to a point of utter helplessness. More than once they found no way out of their problems. The enemies of the gospel almost triumphed at many a point. In their impotence they looked to God to work on their behalf. And He did - not just once or twice, but repeatedly. This is the type of work - a work of faith - that will remain for eternity.

It is not the size of a work that  impresses God. The world looks for size and numbers. But God is looking for works of faith - even if they be the size of mustard seeds.

And so, when God brings us to an end of ourselves, hedging us in on every side and shattering our hopes, let us take heart! He is preparing us for greater usefulness by bringing us first to the place of impotence. He is equipping us to produce Isaacs.

This is how Jesus prepared His apostles for His service. What do you think was the purpose of His training them for 3 1/2 years? They were not being coached to write scholarly these that would earn them doctorates in theology! That's how some people today feel they can be equipped to serve the Lord. But Jesus didn't train His apostles for that. None of the twelve disciples would have qualified for a basis theological degree, even if they had tried. Jesus trained them to learn one lesson primarily - that, without Him they could do nothing (John 15:5). And, I tell you, a man who has learned that lesson is worth more than a hundred theological professors who haven't learnt that lesson.

Total dependence upon God is the mark of the true servant of God. It is true even of Lord Jesus Christ, when He was on earth, as the Servant of Jehovah. In a prophetic reference to Him in Isaiah 42:1, God says. "Behold My Servant, whom I uphold". He does not stand in His own strength; He is upheld by God. Because Christ emptied Himself thus, God put His Spirit upon Him, as the verse goes on to say. It is only on those who have come to an end of themselves and emptied themselves of self-confidence and self-sufficiency, that God pours out His Spirit.

Look at some of the remarkable statements that Jesus made, which clearly show how emptied of self He was: "The Son can do nothing of Hiimself...... I can of Mine own self do nothing....... I do nothing of Myself........ I have not spoken of Myself; but the Father Who sent Me, He gave Me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak...... The words that I speak unto you, I speak not of Myself" (John 5:19,30; 8:28; 12:49; 14:10).

Amazing!! The perfect, sinless Son of God lived by faith. Emptied of all dependence upon HIs own self, He depended entirely on His Father. It is thus that God calls us to live too.

When we are self-sufficient, we try to use God to help us serve Him. But when we are emptied, God can use us.

As I finish this part, I am remembering a hymn written by A. B. Simpson, a great man who founded the Christian and Missionary Alliance

"Once it was my working, His it hence shall be;
Once I tried to use Him, now He uses me.
Once the power I wanted, now the Mighty One;
Once for self I labored, now for Him alone."

This is what it means to trust God. And this was the first lesson that Abraham had to learn.

Dear Brothers and Sisters, hope you like reading the above lesson from Abraham's life. Next would be on the lesson Abraham learnt of the true meaning of worship. Dear friends, if you would like to let me know anything, please put in some comments to know whether you like reading and learning. And friends, please pray for me a sinful servant of Jesus to not to trust in my own strength but to trust in our Lord.

Wishing you all a very Happy Christmas season.

God bless you all. 
Your brother in Christ Jesus
Jobin George

No comments: